Thursday, March 24, 2011

Libya The Tatooed Lady

A friend, and correspondent, is challenging my opinion on the Libya situation, which I find strange because at this time I have none. I’m privy to the same information as most people. But when it comes to how we should have responded in this situation, I simply don’t know.


As a card carrying Democrat I could simply accept my party’s line, except that there isn’t any. There is no Republican position either. Both John Kerry and John McCain favor action with McCain a bit stronger in criticizing the president for not acting sooner. Congressional members of both parties are complaining, saying that Obama is violating the Constitution by bypassing Congress. Whether we should be involved at all also seems to be an issue that crosses party lines. I’ve yet to hear anyone question the apparent assumption that the “Colonel” is a bad guy and should be removed, although I suspect that there are those who do and are remaining tactfully silent. The “right way” probably is the lesser of evils, but please don’t ask me what that is.


I agree with just about everything said by all sides which means that I also have to disagree with parts of all of everything. However I do hold one strong unequivocal conviction. Any nation using an alphabet different from ours should have the courtesy to tell us how we should spell its leader’s name spelled in our alphabet, no multiple choice! Is it Qaddafi or Gaddifi?  How are things going these days in Irag? In Ira Gershwin’s words “let’s call the whole thing off.”


No comments:

Post a Comment